Forum Event: Write a Short Story

Forum Event: Write a Short Story

Postby Tiny Tina » 19 Nov 2017, 16:04

Hello, my lovelies!

Are you up for a fun writing challenge? You better be!

The rules are simple:
- Write a 1000 words story (where 1000 is max, the story could be shorter), using the few words and phrases I'm going to give you.
- Only one story per person
- Include your lady name in your post

Words and Phrases you must use in your story:
Fat ladybug; juicy sausage; when pigs learn to fly; space shuttle; recipes/s; love;

Prizes and voting:
- One of you will receive 10Image
- The winner will be chosen by the Forum Team

The event will be available:
19.11.2017 - 26.11.2017

Look him in the eye, nod politely and
kill the living hell out of him!

For this post the author Tiny Tina thanked: 4
Annabelle Coco (05 Jan 2018, 13:14) • Ashika (20 Nov 2017, 12:02) • Clueless1 (21 Nov 2017, 12:28) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:01)
Rating: 4.82%

Tiny Tina

Have thanks: 593 times

Re: Forum Event: Write a Short Story

Postby Alisha_Roy » 19 Nov 2017, 16:59

The Story of Fashion of the Universe

It was time for the annual fashion show in the Universe and Fate was the official judge. It was a tough event to judge because angels have huge egos and one had to think twice before offending them. That is why Fate with his ever ready wit and as one whose judgment was accepted by all without question was thought to be in the best position to decide the winners and losers.

There had been many times in the past when the angels had found offense with what Fate had done and gotten angry with him, only to be cooled down by his charming wit and his wise judgment. Naturally on the appointed day he sat at the head of the dais as the angels walked the ramp.

The angels of the Universe were truly beautiful and highly talented, and he found it hard to find a winner amongst them. They sashayed up and down the ramp, gave smart answers to his difficult questions, and displayed exceptional talent in dance and music.

Amongst the contestants he found the angels of Love, Sacrifice, Good Times and Obstacle to be the most eye-catching. Others, no matter how good they were, he found a reason to eliminate them. They protested, and some even got furious. But Fate was a master of words and logic. And soon the angels found themselves agreeing with his reasoning, and quietly bowing down from the stage.

There was intense competition between the last four. Love was beautiful, Sacrifice was honorable, and Good Times was always welcome. The angel of Obstacles was always a constant finalist in all fashion shows. You could never get rid of her. No matter how hard others tried to defeat her, she would always find a way to get into the final rounds. And here she was again.

The four of them walked the ramp one last time. Fate finally found a flaw in Love. She was full of ego, so he disqualified her. Sacrifice spent too much time thinking about others and not enough about her welfare, so he removed her as well. Now he was left with Obstacle and Good Times.

Now Fate was in a dilemma. He had to work closely with these two and he did not want to antagonize either one of them. Good Times was known to leave at the drop of a hat, and Obstacle would cling like a bug and not let go when she became angry. Fate had to make his decision carefully.

The two angels looked at him with ambition in their eyes, eagerly waiting for the judgment. Obstacle had never won this contest and this was as close as she had gotten. Good Times sometimes won and sometimes lost, but she also wanted to win quite badly this time.

Fate thought about this dilemma for a while. Then much to the astonishment of the audience and the contestants, he decided to call it a tie. Everybody was stunned. Surely somebody had to win and somebody had to lose. Obstacle was furious and she demanded an explanation.

Fate spoke calmly and confidently.

“I have observed both of your walks and you are both equally good. But there is a slight difference. Obstacle looks good when she is walking away from you, while Good Times looks good when she is walking towards you. That is why I judged it a tie”

Both the angels were satisfied with the answer. They smiled, congratulated each other and went to the podium to receive their respective prizes.

By-Alisha_Roy

For this post the author Alisha_Roy thanked: 5
Ashika (22 Nov 2017, 02:29) • AshleeWilde (19 Nov 2017, 19:02) • Katwomann (20 Nov 2017, 08:00) • Minevae (21 Nov 2017, 23:43) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:01)
Rating: 6.02%

Alisha_Roy

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby CookieCrazy » 19 Nov 2017, 17:11

Short story:Once Apon a Time there were 2 sisters. One was good to the bone and the other was evil to the bone. They both loved cooking and making up recipes.But the one thing no one could understand was why they would do anything to protect each other. Whenever someone asked them why they simply answered"she is my sister. Do I have to have a reason?" Then the person who asked would reply,startled,"but you are good and she is evil." The sister would then go home to her sister. One day there was a strange man at the house. He said"where is the good sister,love". He gave her a fat ladybug and a fat pig.the evil sister,unaware of who he was, replied"I'll tell you when pigs learn to fly and space shuttles rain down on earth." the man,who was their long lost father said"thank you daughter."the evil sister fainted on the spot. At that moment the other family members came outside and the family was reunited. Everyone was happy. They ate some fat and juicy sausages.The End.
Short Story by Soccer-Puppy
Soccer Puppy
Royal Fashoinist
"Do the right thing... even when no one is watching."
"Home isn't where you live,it's where your family is."
"Villains are just the victims who've stories haven't been told."

For this post the author CookieCrazy thanked: 2
Ashika (20 Nov 2017, 16:30) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:02)
Rating: 2.41%

CookieCrazy

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Tiny Tina » 19 Nov 2017, 17:18

Ladies, I want to remind you about the words and phrases you must use in your story:

Fat ladybug; juicy sausage; when pigs learn to fly; space shuttle; recipes/s; love;

You can edit your posts as many times as you like during the event.

Look him in the eye, nod politely and
kill the living hell out of him!

For this post the author Tiny Tina thanked: 2
Ashika (20 Nov 2017, 16:30) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:02)

Tiny Tina

Have thanks: 593 times

Postby ioanamiritescu2 » 19 Nov 2017, 18:34

Key words:
1)Fat ladybug; 2)juicy sausage; 3)when pigs learn to fly; 4)space shuttle; 5)recipes/s; 6)love;7)spurs

A witch recipes's story!

While i was waiting in the general market for my transporter that has to bring to me the last and the only ingredient i was missing:Fat ladybug,the Old Lighthouse spots blindes me for a few moments,just to miss my space shuttle landing!!!SSS+++

I was collecting for long time love and spirits potions by growing crops of lanterns and pumpkin's on my nurchurin' fields!!!SSS+++ Y0u can imagine the joy i feel thincking my little farm can provide me with all the ingredients i need by harvesting and production and exchange for my strokeing Potion of Creation i was finally going to obtain by my own means mixing Potion of love and Eternal cold!!!SSS++=

But to get the last one i could mix it only dead-i guess-and that was going to happen only when pigs learn to fly,so as a result i had to use my charms to steel it from a wealthy guy,that won it on a jewelery table game!!!SSS+++

The recipes for every potion are quite simple and main Potion implies Potions of love,flight,fog and deceit,that all have to happen and they did for the final potion to work!!!SSS+++ Well i thinck i had all the ingredients i needed:they were brought to me by flight,through a rough and dense white fog,while the only light that could be seen for landin' was the one of the highest building,whitch is the LightTower,that deceives me a few seconds!!!SSS+++

Love is still the only thing is lacking in my life so i admired for a long time a y0ung boy becamin a men that now wears black genuine leather high boots with silver spurs!!!SSS+++

Now Alan was that someone to dream and love to,being good in both and also as an aquitance of mine i could bring him food and drinks regular,thats why on my way to his mansion today i first made a stop to the butcher's to buy some juicy sausage and brought with me the Potion of Creation to tied him and me,us both,in spirit and in heart!!!SSS+++

Knocking on his door i felt my heart pumpin' hoping i'll se him in a good mood to give him to taste and eat if it pleases him the juicy sausages and the drink in the glass bottle made after my old family recipe formula dreamin'of a crazy fantasy future with him!!!SSS+++

MyLadyName is: ღღioanamiritescu2ღღ

For this post the author ioanamiritescu2 thanked: 3
Ashika (22 Nov 2017, 02:29) • Red Queen (20 Nov 2017, 20:05) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:02)
Rating: 3.61%

ioanamiritescu2

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby AshleeWilde » 19 Nov 2017, 18:59

Lady Name - Ashlee Wilde
*This, is, in no way, exactly accurate in history*

“B-but-”
Henry Johnsen, CEO of NASA held up a hand to pause me. Taking his cigar out of his mouth, he tossed it in the trash can filled to the brim with crumpled papers, bearing signatures, scribbled out math equations and small doodles and drawings no doubt done by his daughter, the spoiled little 6-year-old he always brought to the office.
If there’s something all the employees working under Henry Johnsen agreed on, it would be that Tiffany Johnson is a spoiled brat.
“Ms. Pierce, I understand you would like to help out with the Apollo 11 mission, but you really must understand, it’s a highly secretive mission and you must have top clearance to work or access it-”
I tried really hard not to roll my eyes on the spot as that was what I literally just asked Henry Johnson to have, clearance on the Apollo 11 mission.
“-and come on Ms. Pierce, really? I mean, not to be offensive or anything, but you’re a woman!”
He guffawed and I had to take a few deep breaths to restrain myself from attacking him. If there’s one thing I hate the most, it’s that men don’t think women like me can actually do things that they do, and better at the least.
“I’m sorry, Mr. Johnson, but I really don’t understand why you believe I cannot help with the Apollo 11 mission to land that space shuttle on the moon.”
“Look, Natalie, the day when women help us land that darned shuttle on the moon, it will be the day pigs fly. I mean, what could you do? Cook food for us while we solve formulas and calculate trajectories you could never even dream of even writing down for us? Oh, while you’re at it, I’ll have a sausage, extra juicy please. Oh, make sure to follow the steps on the recipe I’ll give you too. I only like it the way my wife prepares it for me.”
“Then maybe you should have your wallflower of a wife make it for you, not a woman whose talents should be wasted in a kitchen, slaving away for you all day.”
I had uttered that sentence really quietly, and it was a bit harsh, definitely did not have to insult his wife, but I couldn’t take it back now, Henry Johnson had heard it, and I knew he was going to make me regret it.
“Excuse me Ms. Pierce?”
“Excuse yourself.”
Oh, dear lord, please, someone, make me shut up and stop running my mouth.
“Now, Ms. Pierce, I understand you can be angry at me, but there is no need for bringing in my wife into this. If you have a problem, you can leave now-” he pointed his stubby finger at the door “-because I sure won’t be taking anymore of this nonsense.”
“It’s not nonsense Mr. Johnson. Women deserve a shot at this too, and how do you know that we’re not capable of landing the blasted space shuttle on the moon if you’ve never actually given on a chance? I work as an aerospace engineer because that’s what I love to do, and men like you are degrading women everyday, making them believe that the things they want to do, the things they love is what they can’t do, and that is something I cannot stand for. Mr. Johnson, there is nothing more that I can say. I hope you know that by rejecting me and other incredibly capable women's requests to work on the Apollo 11 mission just because they are women, you are, for one, being incredibly sexist, and perhaps setting back the mission for a few more years. Imagine that Mr. Johnson.”
With that, I slowly got up, grabbed my bag, and left, making a point to slam the door behind me. Walking out of NASA, I felt a sense of empowerment, a sense of hope that maybe, I was able to talk some sense into Mr. Johnson and set a future for other women looking to work in NASA. I also felt a prickly feeling on my arm. What was that? Looking down, I spotted a fat ladybug crawling around on my arm. Smiling, I gently picked it up and set on a patch of grass.
“You’re a symbol ,of luck” I told the ladybug. People walking by mustI'mink i’m delusional, me talking to a speckled bug, “And I believe in luck. You may seem like a small bug, unimportant, like me, but you know what? Who cares if we’re ‘unimportant’ to society. I know I’m important, you know you’re important, and people, bugs too who believe in themselves can change the world around them, the world where everything has a purpose.”

I hope you enjoyed my story!
-Ashlee

For this post the author AshleeWilde thanked: 3
Ashika (22 Nov 2017, 02:29) • Red Queen (20 Nov 2017, 20:08) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:02)

AshleeWilde

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby GrahamMagic » 19 Nov 2017, 19:48

Lady Name: Graham

The Ladybug :love:

Gently as possible, I bent down to itch the tightly-wrapped bandage on my ankle. “Steph, stop!” Olsen yelled, hitting my arm so hard that it bruised. I knew I wasn’t supposed to, but it still stung a little, and the urge to itch was just too hard to ignore. I peeled part of the bandage away, briefly exposing the fat ladybug tattooed on the inside of my ankle. “Steph!” Olsen hit me again, so I wrapped myself back up. It was my first tattoo, and I still wasn’t sure it had been a good idea.
When Olsen first suggested the idea at lunch one day, I laughed so hard some of my salad fell out my mouth. “Yeah, sure, when pigs learn to fly!”. I wish, then I started doodling a tiny little pig, wearing an astronaut’s helmet, trotting up the steps to its little space shuttle. Olsen laughed too when she saw the drawing. “Steph, that’s amazing. You could design the tattoo. It wouldn’t just be you, I’d get one as well.”
“That’s easy for you to say.” Olsen was covered in tattoos. She had her boyfriends’ name tattooed across the slope of her shoulder blades and a trail of rose down her back. There was ‘LOVE’, in Chinese, on the band of her arm, and cute little cat drawing on her stomach. The cat doodle was mine, something I drew her on our first day of work. She’d loved it, and the next day, pulled up her blouse in the bathroom to show me the neat replicate her favourite tattooist had just done. I’d felt amazed, shocked, even confused. But it was that act that cemented our friendship. That was three years ago.
Olsen, who was wolfing down French fries before she had to finish work on a project due that evening, started adding her own sketches to my paper. The shuttle landed on Mars, where a processing factory stood, and the pig joined its pig brethren, before being turned into a nice juicy sausage.
“Errr, Olsen-”
“Quiet. I’m drawing a little bib for the Martian to wear.” She giggled as the Martian, gel-pen green with big bug eyes, chowed the sausage in one.
“There. Much better.” She put the cluster of pens in her hands down and finished off the last of the barbeque burger, spilling sauce down her shirt.
Since that day, Olsen had begged me time and time again. I kept resisting, always insisting, until last night. Her boyfriend was out of town on business, so we decided not to let a perfectly good bachelor pad go to waste, and had supper there. I had been sitting there, watching TV, snuggled up with her Siberian husky called Monkey, when she called my name. “Steph!”
I turned my head slightly. “More wine?” I asked.
“No. Come have a look at this.” The air suddenly smelt of oranges, which was weird considering we were meant to be having Italian.
Intrigued, I left my spot on the sofa and padded over to the kitchen table, where Olsen was busy chopping oranges and spring onion.
“Look at what I found out shopping yesterday.” She took the recipe book lying on the table and turned it over so I could make out the cover.
It was Jo DeSange.
“Where the hell did you get that?” I inquired, grabbing the book and opening it back up. There it was, in black and white. The Little Ladybug Book of Cooking.
“I was just walking down the street, glancing in shop windows, and I saw it! It was this tiny little shop with room for about three people at any one time, but I had to get it. You happy?”
I hadn’t realised, but tears had started streaming down my face. I wiped my cheeks and smiled.
“You don’t realise how happy this had made me, Olsen. Thank you.”
Olsen beamed. “I’d come around and give you a hug, but I’m busy with the food. I’m making that orange chicken you told me you liked, the recipe was right there.”
I flickered through the pages till I saw the recipe of my childhood.
“It’s just like I remembered. Thank you, again.” I hugged the book tightly to my chest, before, somewhat reluctantly, handing it back over so she could continue cooking.
“Oh, it’s nothing,” Olsen waved it off, going over to the fridge. “But you better get that tattoo now!” She laughed.
I snatched my wine glass from the coffee table and returned to fill it. I had always said no to tattoos, but this might be a good way to commentate Jo.
Jo had been my foster mother when I was little. She worked as a chef at a cute bohemian restaurant, and she wrote out all her favourite recipes to try and get a book deal. The day I turned twelve, her publisher called and agreed to sell The Little Ladybug Book. She called it that after her favourite animal. Not long after, Jo suddenly got sick, and I had to be rehomed. I hadn’t seen her since.
I had always considered Jo my best mother, so when I read a newspaper article this year announcing her passing, I’d been distraught. Olsen had tried to cheer me up, and though it didn’t always work, this was the first time I felt I was doing something productive.
I turned to my best friend and smiled.
“Olsen, I thinking I’m going to get a tattoo.”

I stared at the crisp white bandage. I would never see Jo again. Never hear her laugh, smell her perfume, listen to her describe the best way to make mash potatoes.
But at least this way, I would never let her go.

For this post the author GrahamMagic thanked: 4
Ashika (20 Nov 2017, 16:30) • Minevae (22 Nov 2017, 00:11) • Red Queen (20 Nov 2017, 20:11) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:02)

GrahamMagic

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby ClarisaJean » 19 Nov 2017, 21:00

Lady name-ClarisaJean

The Departure

Gladis shivered as the hurried to pull her robe over her shoulders on that chilly autumn morning, as she turned to open the curtains, she saw a fat ladybug sitting on the window panel, "oh!" she thought to herself, " surly this is a sign of good luck, for James( hey dearly loved husband) is going to depart on his space shuttle mission today." She hurriedly looked through her recipe book in vain, trying to find her light and fluffy biscuit recipe, and when at last she found it she moved over to quickly turn the juicy sausages, and stir the cooking eggs. She was trying very hard to make a splendid breakfast, because, she thought to herself, " this will be James' last good meal before the launch, for goodness knows what he'll eat on the shuttle!" As they sat down to eat James said "There's no need to worry dear, everything will be fine, you know the old saying, 'For when pigs learn to fly, man shall be up high'. " I know, i know, but i can't help but to worry" replied Gladis. "Everything will be fine" said James. Pulling up her coat, Gladis said a short prayer, " Oh Lord, help my James, and give me faith in this worrying time. " When she opened her eyes she felt much better, and hurried out of the house to meet James who was waiting in the car. "5" "4" "3" "2" they counted down for the take off "1" "Take off!" the shuttle roared any sparks shot out of the boosters as the shuttle soared up into the sky. Minutes later the radio reported good signs and t hey they were doing fine, Gladis signed in relief and thought to herself what her husband had said 'For when pigs learn to fly, man shall be up high'. "Ring" "Ring" the phone buzzed, as she glanced over at the clocked Gladis groaned, " who on earth would be calling her so early, its 2:30 a.m!" "hello she asked as she picked up he pone, "Who is this" " I am John Steward calling from the Space Center of Lake Land" " is everything all right"? asked Gladis " I'm sorry to inform you that your husband's plane is having some difficulties" " what, whats wrong!" Gladis practically yelled into the phone" " there seem to be some technical difficulties with he shuttle, don't worry, its nothing major, we'll inform you if there is any other problem" said the man, "thank you" replied Gladis. As she hung up she broke down crying " I knew something would happen!" said Gladis " I knew!" "oh Lord help me!" throughout the night she received little bit of reports on the problem, the condition continued to worsen, at 5 am, she received another call " mam, I'm afraid the shuttle has been lost for good, we have lost contact and on the last call we received they were near the point of losing one if their last engines, I'm afraid to say your husband is gone" " NO!" yelled Gladis as she doped the phone and fell down sobbing "NO" "NO" "oh Lord why me!?" Why me!?" for hours Gladis laid on the floor sobbing and sobbing, she could hardly bear it, to lose her dear dear husband. Finally at 4 p.m she received yet another another call, surprised she sat up and pick up the phone " hello?" she said " Hello, Mrs. Rosmere, I have wonderful news, your husband is not lost!" Gladis shouted in happiness "Oh my!" " It appears that they have fixed the radio and your husband being a former technical technician, he was able to fix the engines and they are now on there way back, will you be able to come and meet them in a hour?" " Of course, I'll right away!" As she wiped away her tears she sent up a prayer of thanks and hurried out to the car. Her eyes scanned the sky looking and waiting for the shuttle, "Hark! is that it?" she saw a small speck in the shy, " Make way, make way" they platform men called, "their coming in fast" " we must make way, clear the runway" Gladis ran as she and others hurried out of the way. with a "roar!" and "boom" the shuttle safely hit the runway and slowed to a stop, as her husband climbed down the step the grabbed him in a firm hug and kiss and in his ear she whispered, " 'For when pigs learn to fly, man shall be up high'."

THE END

For this post the author ClarisaJean thanked: 3
Ashika (22 Nov 2017, 02:29) • Red Queen (20 Nov 2017, 20:12) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:02)

ClarisaJean

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby ioanamiritescu2 » 19 Nov 2017, 23:42

ioanamiritescu2 wrote:Key words:
1)Fat ladybug; 2)juicy sausage; 3)when pigs learn to fly; 4)space shuttle; 5)recipes/s; 6)love;7)spurs

A witch recipes's story!

While i was waiting in the general market for my transporter that has to bring to me the last and the only ingredient i was missing:Fat ladybug,the Old Lighthouse spots blindes me for a few moments,just to miss my space shuttle landing!!!SSS+++

I was collecting for long time love and spirits potions by growing crops of lanterns and pumpkin's on my nurchurin' fields!!!SSS+++ Y0u can imagine the joy i feel thincking my little farm can provide me with all the ingredients i need by harvesting and production and exchange for my strokeing Potion of Creation i was finally going to obtain by my own means mixing Potion of love and Eternal cold!!!SSS++=

But to get the last one i could mix it only dead-i guess-and that was going to happen only when pigs learn to fly,so as a result i had to use my charms to steel it from a wealthy guy,that won it on a jewelery table game!!!SSS+++

The recipes for every potion are quite simple and main Potion implies Potions of love,flight,fog and deceit,that all have to happen and they did for the final potion to work!!!SSS+++ Well i thinck i had all the ingredients i needed:they were brought to me by flight,through a rough and dense white fog,while the only light that could be seen for landin' was the one of the highest building,whitch is the LightTower,that deceives me a few seconds!!!SSS+++

Love is still the only thing is lacking in my life so i admired for a long time a y0ung boy becamin a men that now wears black genuine leather high boots with silver spurs!!!SSS+++

Now Alan was that someone to dream and love to,being good in both and also as an aquitance of mine i could bring him food and drinks regular,thats why on my way to his mansion today i first made a stop to the butcher's to buy some juicy sausage and brought with me the Potion of Creation to tied him and me,us both,in spirit and in heart!!!SSS+++

Knocking on his door i felt my heart pumpin' hoping i'll se him in a good mood to give him to taste and eat if it pleases him the juicy sausages and the drink in the glass bottle made after my old family recipe formula dreamin'of a crazy fantasy future with him!!!SSS+++

MyLadyName is: ღღioanamiritescu2ღღ

For this post the author ioanamiritescu2 thanked: 2
Ashika (22 Nov 2017, 02:29) • Sarah Eilonwy (20 Nov 2017, 03:03)

ioanamiritescu2

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby Sarah Eilonwy » 20 Nov 2017, 02:53

Lady Sarah Eilonwy
Club Black & White

Words and Phrases you must use in your story:
Fat ladybug; juicy sausage; when pigs learn to fly; space shuttle; recipes/s; love
These are all used and highlighted in pink for easy checking.

~Healing & Hope~
~973 Words~

“Analina, please don’t run so fast, my darling. I can’t keep up with you. I am too old for these games of yours.”

I laugh. “But Aunt Frankie, I love this forest. You know that by now. All these years we have been together….” I trail off, spotting a new friend. A fat ladybug flies past me and lands on a nearby dark green bush. I skip off after it, enjoying the irritated look that I know is on Frankie’s’ face.

“Don’t remind me, child. Did you not hear me just now? I am aware of my age already.”

I roll my eyes. She is so ridiculous. She may be an elder but she has all the energy and gumption of someone in the prime of their lives. She has taken care of me since I lost both my parents eight years ago, teaching me to paint, to cook, to open my heart and to love again.

My grumbling stomach interrupts my thoughts. “Frankie, can we go back and get some lunch?” I ask, turning around and going towards her. She is beautiful- all dressed up in a plush dark grey sweater and faded denim for the cold autumn day, all rosy cheeks and dark blue eyes.

“You have been asking me to teach you a new recipe. How about today we lean my special juicy sausage and peppers?” She suggests with a smile. I nod and take her hand as we walk back.

After a short while of quiet peace, we near our vast back yard again. I see my favorite companion waiting for us… my Olivia, a little runt piglet that I have kept since she was born too small to sell.

“Have you thought any more about that science class you are taking? You still want to be an astronomer, Ana?”

“Oh yes. I can’t wait for the summer to start so I can begin prepping for college.”

She opens the gate and I enter inside first. “I’m glad you have something to look forward to. I don’t know whether to be proud of you or sad that you are one day literally going to leave me for the moon.”

“Aunt Frankie, I don’t want to go to the moon, that’s been done. I want to explore the planets. Discover what is beyond the blanket of darkness we see every night. Climb into a space shuttle and touch the stars that make the Big and Little Dipper.”

She picks up Olivia and kisses her pink head. “You always were such an idealist, Ana. I think I have exposed you to too many romance novels.”

I take Olivia from her and hold her up so she is able to see me. “Don’t worry, Olivia, when pigs learn to fly and you aren’t so scared, I will take you with me and we can find new stars together, my love.”

Frankie brushes hair from my eyes. “Well, I’ll miss you both but I plan to keep my feet firmly on this earth- where I can tend to my flowers. Now how about we get cooking because I-”

“Shush!” I stop her, nodding toward Olivia as I adjust her in my arms. “She doesn’t need to know what you are cooking.”

She shakes her head at me, her lovely grey hair being blown by the light breeze. “Darling, there is more than one way to prepare sausage.”

Olivia makes a little squeak, smart baby that she is… “You see what we did? We offended the sweetheart,” I put Olivia down and watch her walk off towards her trough of slop and begin eating.

Frankie gives me a look of endearing annoyance, “Take a chill pill Analina. She’s fine. Come on, Olivia has the right idea, I am starving after all that running you made me do.”

“Sure, blame me for your insistence that we live next to a lovely forest. Blame me for all your bedtime stories of the fairies that live in said forest. Blame me for wanting to grow wings and-”

“You sure are obsessed with flying today,” she remarks dryly as I follow her into the house.

“Dad was a pilot,” I remind her. “Mom always called their letters between each other to be air mail. He would be off working and she would just look up at the clouds and the moon and think that he is there somewhere, on his way back to us.”

“And now they are both up there together. I get it,” she says with a tone that both comforts me and urges me to continue.

“Since they have been gone, it has been you and I… and I wanted to one day discover a star for you. Name it in honor of you- because you have always been there for me.”

She wipes her eyes and suddenly envelopes me in one of her tight, warm hugs. “I love you, darling.”

“I love you too Aunt Frankie,” I manage, hugging her back, her frizzy hair in my face.

“And I will always be here for you. No matter where you go,” then she adds matter-of-factly, “Even to Pluto- which is definitely a planet.”

I pull back and look at her, “We talked about this already, Aunt Frankie. Pluto is not-”

She interrupts me yet again, a great awful habit of hers. “She’s making a comeback, I’m telling you. And when you go there, you can brag to your friends all about your intelligent and beautiful Aunt Frankie who knew about Pluto all along.”

Oh dear, here she goes speaking of herself in the third person again… Oh, how I love her.

I laugh and take her hand and lead her into our large clean kitchen, still smelling of this mornings’ pancakes. “Sausage and peppers?”

She laughs. “Right on, kiddo. Sausage and peppers, coming right up!”

For this post the author Sarah Eilonwy thanked: 4
Aram (20 May 2018, 22:48) • Ashika (20 Nov 2017, 16:30) • Minevae (22 Nov 2017, 00:19) • Red Queen (20 Nov 2017, 20:14)

Sarah Eilonwy

Have thanks: 1566 times

Next

Return to Archive