Trinity Starling -- Diary of Randomness

Re: Trinity Starling -- Diary of Randomness

Postby Trinity Starling » 19 Mar 2019, 03:01

Hello everyone! Today is my birthday, so... Happy B-Day to me!! Yay! :D

Have a nice day, everyone.
Lady Name: Trinity Starling
ID: 5498311

For this post the author Trinity Starling thanked: 3
Angel IzWicked (01 Apr 2019, 14:29) • Gaia (31 Mar 2019, 21:01) • Red Queen (09 Apr 2019, 10:11)
Rating: 3.61%

Trinity Starling

Have thanks: 665 times
National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 23 Mar 2019, 21:09

Hi! Today I've decided to share a collection of artwork from contemporary artist Mel Chin. I found his work from the collection "The Funk & Wag from A to Z" to be particularly interesting and thought-provoking so I decided to share them. Credit all images to http://melchin.org/oeuvre/the-funk-wag-from-ato-z (Chin, 2012)

Here is a description of the collection of works that follows, from Chin's website:

A popular, vintage encyclopedia is processed to represent contradictory layers and logic of personal and public information. The images have been extracted from all twenty-five volumes of a 1953-56 Funk & Wagnall Encyclopedia and reconfigured as collages, unleashing the potentiality of images trapped by historical context. New political and psychological associations emerge in the black and white presentation that covers the walls.

That paragraph sums up the pieces pretty well: by forming collages from images taken from a volume of encyclopedias, Chin has let observers build new, exciting interpretations of the images instead of relying on the context of the encyclopedias to cloud their creative potential. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this collection as much as I did.

VOLUME I No. 10 Playing Rockefeller Center

VOLUME I No. 17 Survival is a Delicate Act

VOLUME V No. 11 The Specter of Urban Decay Rises From the Rubble

VOLUME VI No. 15 Crusty Confucius

VOLUME IX No. 8 Please Do Not Touché

VOLUME X No. 5 Black Angel

VOLUME VII No. 1 Gothic vs Romanesque

Obviously, this is only a fraction of Chin's entire exhibition -- and the images shown above were just my personal favorites -- so I encourage you to explore his, and other artists', work more. :D

For this post the author Trinity Starling was thanked by:
Gaia (31 Mar 2019, 21:02)
Rating: 1.2%

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 30 Mar 2019, 21:14

Hello everyone! Today is the International Transgender Day of Visibility -- a day to honor trans people worldwide for having the courage to live authentically and for fighting erasure of their identities.

For this post the author Trinity Starling thanked: 3
Angel IzWicked (01 Apr 2019, 14:29) • Gaia (31 Mar 2019, 21:02) • Red Queen (09 Apr 2019, 10:11)

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Angel IzWicked » 01 Apr 2019, 14:55

Hello, Trinity! (Your username is beautiful, btw! <3)

I just finished reading your diary from start to end, and I love it! <3 You've done so well in keeping up with it and I love how you write!

Your short story about the concentration camp reminds me of a short story I wrote when I was in school about a homosexual man in Germany who was persecuted during the Holocaust and his thoughts leading up to his death... But yours is so much more thorough, and I love how you are able to capture so much detail and emotion in such a short format! <3

Also, in both stories, I love your use of paragraphs that suddenly change tempo, running together with action, emotion, and confusion--it really snaps the reader deep into the moment and expresses everything the narrator is feeling!

And about your diary overall, I love how you sprinkle lots of different things in it--your creative writing, upbeat and fun things, sharing about yourself, informational passages about various topics... Please keep up the wonderful work! ^.^

Thank you for all that you do <3

Much love,
Angel
Peace & Love,
Angel

LP Username: Angel IzWicked
ID=5155233

For this post the author Angel IzWicked thanked: 3
Gaia (01 Apr 2019, 21:06) • Red Queen (09 Apr 2019, 10:11) • Trinity Starling (04 Apr 2019, 03:07)

Angel IzWicked

Have thanks: 124 times
National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 01 Apr 2019, 17:03

Angel IzWicked wrote:Hello, Trinity! (Your username is beautiful, btw! <3)

I just finished reading your diary from start to end, and I love it! <3 You've done so well in keeping up with it and I love how you write!

Your short story about the concentration camp reminds me of a short story I wrote when I was in school about a homosexual man in Germany who was persecuted during the Holocaust and his thoughts leading up to his death... But yours is so much more thorough, and I love how you are able to capture so much detail and emotion in such a short format! <3

Also, in both stories, I love your use of paragraphs that suddenly change tempo, running together with action, emotion, and confusion--it really snaps the reader deep into the moment and expresses everything the narrator is feeling!

And about your diary overall, I love how you sprinkle lots of different things in it--your creative writing, upbeat and fun things, sharing about yourself, informational passages about various topics... Please keep up the wonderful work! ^.^

Thank you for all that you do <3

Much love,
Angel

Hey Angel,

Thanks so much for your comment on my diary. I'm so glad you're enjoying it and I hope what's to come does not disappoint. It's really sweet of you to read my entire diary too. I've actually got a few more ideas in my head of more creative writing projects but haven't really had the time to write them down, but maybe someday. Regarding your own story, if you'd like to share it (on my diary would be lovely, but somewhere else is great too), I'd love to read it. Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read what I have the time to write. :D

Regards,

Trinity

Red Queen (09 Apr 2019, 10:12)

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 08 Apr 2019, 05:32

Happy World Health Day, y'all!

One of the focuses of World Health Day 2019 is the goal of having universal healthcare. Below is an infographic from the World Health Organization (WHO), which was created on this day in 1948.

Here's to healthy, happy lives: may we enjoy them and create them.

Citations:

https://www.who.int/westernpacific/news ... h-day-2019

For this post the author Trinity Starling thanked: 2
Gaia (09 Apr 2019, 03:16) • Red Queen (09 Apr 2019, 10:12)
Rating: 2.41%

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 11 Apr 2019, 16:24

This is a poem I was writing for a contest. I just thought I'd share it with you. For context, the theme of said contest is "Be the Inspiration." Lemme know what you think. Also, there's no title 'cuz I couldn't think of one. :mellow: If any of y'all have an idea, let me know. Enjoy!

sometimes i have trouble discerning
between the voice that asks,
do you know the meaning of the word "consent"?
and the one that answers,
"yes." period.
the periods that punctuate a sentence also punctuate
the end of our freedom
period.

sometimes i think that hope has fled
that the little thing with feathers looks upon humanity with dread
that the fragile bluebird, the graceful swan, the tormented crow, all cried at the sight
of the women—their hearts torn, their bodies contorted, their souls a scream in the night—
the women who saw the brightest light of dignity extinguished

sometimes i think that blood is the cleanest thing in the world
that is why it is spilled so often
blood dripping down this woman's legs
dripping down that woman's face
the world says, stop bleeding, stop their bleeding
the world never stops the bleeding

sometimes i think that morality is no longer a discipline,
no longer something we teach our little girls and little boys
but rather, something we must teach each other
the morality that was once a given in most has become a taken in all

still i know that things will change.

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 15 Apr 2019, 21:54

*that awkward moment when you find a dress from LP on Pinterest :mellow: * lol here are some dresses I found that match ones from events in Lady Popular! I just thought it was cool that you could find the real-life inspiration for all the outfits from the game by doing a simple image search. A lot of the images basically led me down a rabbit hole... to more images. All images provided courtesy of Pinterest. Note: I realize that there are similar topics to this on the forum, but I just wanted to see what else I could find. ;)

Gaia (16 Apr 2019, 02:28)

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 18 Apr 2019, 21:30

Hi everyone! Today I wanted to share with you a bit of interesting music from an early 2000s European band Stalaggh (later "Gulaggh"), who have been known for recording the screams of mental asylum patients as vocals for their albums in a series of projects. Those projects themselves are, as you may expect, quite jarring and "oppressive," as one article [1] puts it.

However, there is, in my opinion, a sort of sobering quality to their "music" as it is a deviation from the genre of "metal" music. After listening to just one of the songs (if you can even call it that), it feels like one cannot discern the screaming from the rest of the noise. I think this speaks VOLUMES to how society sees mental illness. One case of deviation from societal norms may catch our attention, but soon enough, it just becomes part of an overwhelming sea of noise and we can no longer tell what noise is which. Everything just becomes noise. The music is not meant to be viewed as artistic, as some might be, but rather as a disturbing experience that reveals the complexity of people deemed by society as violent, insane, or just downright crazy.

I've included links to some of Stalaggh's projects down below. :attention: Just be warned that the songs (and the cover art, I think) disturbing, especially for first-time listeners, so discretion is advised. :attention:

Citations:
[1] https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/r ... dfe321f994

Media:
Projekt Misanthropia: https://youtu.be/br5tyuEUBWE
Projekt Nihil: https://youtu.be/qECMFEOen10
Projekt Terror: https://youtu.be/GHukksYAy00
Vorkuta: https://youtu.be/nuO9xtNsRs0

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 21 Apr 2019, 03:04

Trinity Starling wrote:Hi everyone! Today I wanted to share with you a bit of interesting music from an early 2000s European band Stalaggh (later "Gulaggh"), who have been known for recording the screams of mental asylum patients as vocals for their albums in a series of projects. Those projects themselves are, as you may expect, quite jarring and "oppressive," as one article [1] puts it.

However, there is, in my opinion, a sort of sobering quality to their "music" as it is a deviation from the genre of "metal" music. After listening to just one of the songs (if you can even call it that), it feels like one cannot discern the screaming from the rest of the noise. I think this speaks VOLUMES to how society sees mental illness. One case of deviation from societal norms may catch our attention, but soon enough, it just becomes part of an overwhelming sea of noise and we can no longer tell what noise is which. Everything just becomes noise. The music is not meant to be viewed as artistic, as some might be, but rather as a disturbing experience that reveals the complexity of people deemed by society as violent, insane, or just downright crazy.

I've included links to some of Stalaggh's projects down below. :attention: Just be warned that the songs (and the cover art, I think) disturbing, especially for first-time listeners, so discretion is advised. :attention:

Citations:
[1] https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/r ... dfe321f994

Media:
Projekt Misanthropia: https://youtu.be/br5tyuEUBWE
Projekt Nihil: https://youtu.be/qECMFEOen10
Projekt Terror: https://youtu.be/GHukksYAy00
Vorkuta: https://youtu.be/nuO9xtNsRs0

Concerning this, ^^ I think it's the perfect time to share some info on why screaming makes us scared. According to an article on Science magazine's website [1], screams that are more rough or vary largely in volume are typically ranked as being more scary. Roughness refers to the fast variations in the loudness of a sound. Screams also activated the amygdala of the brain (responsible for processing emotions, among other things) unlike other sounds, which activate the brain's auditory cortex. This shows that the brain has become tuned to screams in a way it is not with other sounds. This is due partly to evolution; according to a CNN article [2], screams generally meant danger or conflict in our early evolutionary history, but now can denote excitement, pain, fear, or surprise. So, there you have it: our brains are coded to respond uniquely to screams as opposed to other sounds, partly due to the way we evolved.

Citations:

[1] https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/07 ... e-so-scary
[2] https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/16/health/s ... index.html

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Diaries