Trinity Starling -- Diary of Randomness

Re: Trinity Starling -- Diary of Randomness

Postby Trinity Starling » 05 Feb 2019, 17:21

Hi everyone! Today (Feb. 5, 2019) is officially Chinese New Year!!

As some of you may know, I made a post about a month back with some facts about me. One of the first things I shared is that I am Chinese American, which means that my family celebrates both the American and Chinese New Years.

This year is the Year of the Pig. The animals are those on the Chinese Zodiac and certain months and years decide which animal one is born under. The new year lasts for 11 days (until Feb. 19) and then preparations begin for the four-day long Lantern Festival. During the new year period, people eat lots of traditional Chinese food such as dumplings, rice balls, and candied haw (one of my personal favorites when I lived in China). It's also a tradition for parents and grandparents to give children in the family red envelopes known as 红包 (hóng bāo) filled with money, which is known as 压岁钱 (yā suì qián) or simply Chinese Yuan (the current form of currency in China), although less traditional Chinese American families tend to give dollar bills.

The traditional way to ask for a red envelope is for children to perform three "kowtows" (磕头—kē tóu), or basically bowing on the floor to one's parents/ grandparents as a sign of great respect. Another way to ask is to simply say:

恭喜发财,红包拿来 (gong x fā cái, hóng bāo ná lái), which roughly translates to "I wish you wealth and prosperity, give me the red envelope." The phrase is quite cheeky and even rhymes in Chinese.

Red is considered good luck in Chinese culture, which is why many decorations one may see during the festivities are red.

I hope that this post has been informative and interesting for everyone wanting to know more about Chinese culture. There's more to come!

*Credit all translations and simplified Chinese characters to chinesenewyear.net*
Lady Name: Trinity Starling
ID: 5498311

For this post the author Trinity Starling was thanked by:
Gaia (05 Feb 2019, 22:30)
Rating: 1.2%

Trinity Starling

Have thanks: 281 times
National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 11 Feb 2019, 02:41

LADY POPULAR AND ITS EFFECT ON PLAYERS - PART III: CONCLUSION

So, we've reached the last part of the series on the effects that online games (with the example of LP) have on players! For this final section, I'd like to talk about ways of coping with and moving beyond the rather harsh effects identified in the last two sections.

Coping with the effects of online games is different for everyone, but a good model to go off of is the methods of coping with the psychological phenomenon of "cognitive dissonance."

Cognitive dissonance is defined as an uncomfortable feeling that arises when one's perceptions of reality are not congruent with reality. It is also known as "forced compliance." Granted, no one probably forced us to play LP, so the best way to go about understanding cognitive dissonance is with the latter definition -- the state of having inconsistent beliefs, attitudes, or thoughts.

The phenomenon of cognitive dissonance can be seen in the pressure players feel to epitomize their ladies (their "virtual selves," as was discussed in the earlier sections of this topic). We might not feel comfortable with putting on façades and curating images of ourselves online, but we ultimately do so because of the amount of social conformity around us -- if we see everyone else putting on airs of grandness and impressiveness, we're more likely to do so ourselves.

The greatest challenge posed by cognitive dissonance is the question of how we resolve that uncomfortable feeling when our thoughts, and, ultimately, actions, clash with each other. One of the simplest ways to do so is to reassure oneself that one is, despite what others may say or how others may act, ultimately a good person. One may also decide to improve one's behavior or to cast doubt on an accusation. There are many ways to cope with cognitive dissonance; you just have to find one that works for you.

I hope that this series has been informative for everyone who took the time to read it. I'd like to extend my thanks to those who did. Keep learning and exploring the world around you! <3

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 14 Feb 2019, 23:54

Happy Valentines Day 2019, everyone! May you all have a fun-filled, amazing day, no matter what your relationship status.

For this post the author Trinity Starling was thanked by:
Gaia (15 Feb 2019, 04:03)
Rating: 1.2%

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Previous

Return to Forum Diaries