Trinity Starling -- Diary of Randomness

Re: Trinity Starling -- Diary of Randomness

Postby Gaia » 26 Dec 2018, 01:59

Trinity your new story is so sad but beautiful, it’s great to see people out there care enough to talk about and educate others about the lives of LGBT people. Sometimes it’s not easy to be accepted for being who you are, and this story clearly shows that, but people shouldn’t give up on themselves no matter what. I find that this story shows a great life lesson and I hope more people see that too. Keep up with the good work, you are making a beautiful change in this world!

Merry Christmas!! :D
Lady name: Gaia.
with a dot! Image

ID: 1663132

For this post the author Gaia thanked: 2
Red Queen (16 Jan 2019, 15:43) • Trinity Starling (28 Feb 2019, 03:23)
Rating: 2.41%

Gaia
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Have thanks: 1029 times

Postby Trinity Starling » 27 Dec 2018, 23:42

Hi Gaia,

Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my story. It means a lot to me that people care as much as I do about LGBT issues and I have been blessed to be apart of such a wonderful online community.

Best,

Trinity
Lady Name: Trinity Starling
ID: 5498311

For this post the author Trinity Starling thanked: 2
Gaia (28 Dec 2018, 20:53) • Red Queen (16 Jan 2019, 15:43)
Rating: 2.41%

Trinity Starling

Have thanks: 323 times
National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 28 Dec 2018, 08:56

PSYCHOLOGY: Why it matters, why I like it, and why you should too!

Ever wonder what makes your friends tick? Want to know more about the inner workings of the human mind? Lucky for us, there's a science that's dedicated to answering questions like these: Psychology.

"Psychology" as a word comes from the Greek psyche and the suffix -ology, meaning "the study of." It is the branch of science concerned with three levels: the individual mind, the person, and the society. Psychology had a rough start from its conception because people thought that the mind couldn't be "measured." This was debunked later on when it was shown that that could be done by assigning numbers to different levels of variables in experimentation.

Personally, I was interested in Psychology from a very young age because I wanted to know more about why people act the way they do and how their interactions can change based on the environment and other people. I think more people should invest in it because in this day and age, our interactions are changing more than ever with the advent of new technologies, social media, etc. One of the reasons Psychology might be getting less attention that it deserves is that there's a misconception that psychologists are just people you vent your problems to while lying on a couch (a myth that got its start from Freudian psychoanalysis). However, there's so much more that you can do with a deep understanding of Psychology: marketing/consumer psychology, A.I development, and a few other odd (but interesting) jobs. Pure psychology in practice might be out-of-date, but the opportunities that have sprung forth certainly aren't.

Further Reading:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us
https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/about-psychologists.aspx
https://www.apa.org/careers/resources/g ... reers.aspx

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 01 Jan 2019, 00:09

Happy New Year everyone! I wish you all to have a mindful, fun-filled, and enriching 2019.

For this post the author Trinity Starling was thanked by:
Gaia (03 Jan 2019, 19:59)
Rating: 1.2%

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 01 Jan 2019, 23:03

Happy 2019 everyone! As we enter the new year, one of things that may nag at us is how to better ourselves, how to have a fulfilling year, etc. You guessed it: it's time to make some resolutions. It's also time for companies to cash in on how we want to achieve those goals: buying a gym membership, eating from delivery meal kits... all the stuff that they promise will help us achieve our goals. My advice to you all is to avoid falling for these sales gimmicks and focus on how you, independently, could reach your goals. If you want to get fit, instead of getting an expensive gym membership, try to walk in the park, take your dog out for a walk, ride a bicycle or walk to commute instead of getting into a car. If you want to eat healthier, start by buying healthy foods and getting rid of unhealthy ones instead of just buying from a meal kit delivery service. The point is, you don't need to buy expensive things in order to achieve your goals and live a fulfilling life. Just keep your eye on the prize: a healthier, happier you for the year to come!

Now, in order to even start working towards your resolutions, you need to actually have goals in mind. Think about what you want in the coming year. Do you want to learn more, spend more time with family, earn more money, etc? An important thing to remember is that your resolutions should not be the same as the goals you've thought about. They should be SMART:

SPECIFIC -- It's easier to achieve a goal if you lay out a plan. If you want to spend more time with your family, for instance, you might think about clearing your schedule for the weekend, planning a family trip, etc.

MEASURABLE -- The goal you set for yourself should be something you can measure, and you should be able to measure your progress

ATTAINABLE -- Don't write down a resolution you can't achieve! If your goal is to climb Mount Everest but you've never went rock climbing, don't have that goal in mind. It's a good plan to incrementally achieve small steps with the larger goal in mind. Of course, you should challenge yourself with your goals, but also be sure that you'll eventually get there with enough hard work.

RELEVANT -- The goals you set should be relevant to your life, not someone else's.

TIME-BOUND -- Goals you set should be bound into some time frame. If you don't have this in place, it will be much harder to achieve your goals because you'll be more prone to procrastination.

I hope this guide will help your come up with some SMART resolutions.

Red Queen (16 Jan 2019, 15:43)

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 04 Jan 2019, 21:57

Hi everyone! In accordance with the New Year, I thought I'd share some of my resolutions going into 2019.

1) Spend more time with my family: I plan to partake in more activities with my parents, esp. on the weekends, such as going for a walk in the park, eating together, etc.

2) Be a better student: I want to be proud of my academic achievements and, in accordance, get better grades and study more effectively. I plan to be more productive and procrastinate less by getting a productivity application installed on my web browser. I plan to steer away from electronic devices when I don't need them.

3) Be healthier: I plan on eating healthier and exercising more. I will go for walks in the park with my parents and go to the gym. I also will cut down on the amount of junk food I consume by picking healthier, more natural foods when possible. I will buy less unhealthy foods, such as crackers, chips, and sweets at the grocery store, instead opting for fruits and vegetables.

So, there you have it. My top three resolutions for the new year. Feel free to share yours. :D

Red Queen (16 Jan 2019, 15:43)

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 06 Jan 2019, 00:49

Hi everyone. Today, I'd like to share some things about one of my favorite forms of dance: ballet. All the sights and sounds that have enraptured people at a ballet performance are for mass consumption online anyway, so I might as well get some more people onboard. I myself do not practice ballet, but am rather just an awed onlooker to the art.

Ballet first started in Renaissance Italy as a social dance with strict rules governing everything from one's footwork to attire. Ballet was later brought to France in the 16th century by Italian noble Catherine de'Medici. In 17th century France, King Louis XIV transformed the dance into what we know today. Louis himself played as much a role in performing ballet as he would shaping it: he performed 80 roles in 40 ballets. It is said that the "turned out" V-shape of the feet, which has lived on in ballet today, was first introduced because court nobles saw that Louis had naturally turned-out feet and didn't want to ostracize him. Thus, they performed ballet with their feet turned out. Louis' acquaintance and performance partner Pierre Beauchamp created the five main positions, which are still seen in modern ballet.

From the 17th century to the 21st century, ballet certainly has had a long tenure as a performing art, and that doesn't look like it'll stop anytime soon.

Further Reading/Media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEekFTj5PvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=510WnZQUgac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auDNcfK0Wcs

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 06 Jan 2019, 20:55

Happy Sunday, everyone. Have a great week!

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 11 Jan 2019, 02:47

Hi everyone! Today I want to write a little about the current events that are happening in the United States. Some of you may have heard that the US president Donald Trump is planning on building a wall in the US border with Mexico in order to stop illegal immigrants from coming to America. Now, I have been opposed to my diary, and all of my online activity, becoming an amplifier for politics, but I feel that this issue is far too important too ignore any longer and has become not a political issue, but a moral one. This is why I want to share it with you, an international audience.

The US government has been shut down for about two weeks now and will likely continue to be shut down until Trump and the Democratic Party can reach an agreement on how to re-open the gov't. While the gov't is shut down, about one million gov't employees will not get a salary and they will likely not be able to claim money for their lost time. In addition, gov't-funded entities, such as museums and national parks, will likely also be closing because of the lack of employees. Other sectors of public life will also be impacted. Trump himself stated that the shutdown could last for months and even years unless the Democrats agree to have appropriations for the border wall.

The wall that Trump wants is one he believes will solve the immigration "crisis" (or as he called it, "the national security crisis") and stop illegal drugs from flowing into the country. This wall would be a terribly costly and inefficient way to restrain immigration, if that's what we really want. It's estimated to cost anywhere from $12 to $15 billion, according to CNBC [2], (all of which will come from taxpayer dollars, even though a) one of Trump's campaign promises was to lower the tax rate, and b) America has $116 billion deficit as of 2018) According to National Public Radio [1], most immigration into America isn't even happening at the Southern border! It's actually more like legal immigrants who have overstayed their visits.

As mentioned earlier, the gov't shutdown has been continuing because Trump has not received the appropriations he wants for his wall ($5.6 billion, although $1 billion has been appropriated and left unspent). Right now, it seems that negotiations aren't going so well, as Trump walked out on the most recent one. It's safe to say that America's in for a long ride...

Stay strong everyone. Stay informed: read credible international news sources, fact-check, and always be skeptical. Thanks.

Further Reading:
[1] https://www.npr.org/2019/01/10/68366269 ... ta-tell-us
[2] https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is ... st-us.html
https://www.politico.com/latest-news-up ... tdown-2018

Trinity Starling

National Flag:
United States

Postby Trinity Starling » 12 Jan 2019, 18:49