Rules/judging criteria in contests

We are constantly improving the Forum and your opinion is taken into account. Let us know your ideas and suggestions here!

Rules/judging criteria in contests

Postby Shoobie » 29 Feb 2016, 23:18

I would like to suggest including specific rules and/or judging criteria in contest announcements :D
Here is why I think this would be helpful:

With the contests, both here in the forum and on the Facebook page and group, we are usually only given the theme of the contest, but no rules or judging criteria, so we just have to guess what we're being judged on... Like some other players, sometimes I find this rather frustrating, and it can feel quite unfair.
I love the contests and appreciate all the time and effort that must go into judging them, but I would like to make a suggestion I think could make these contests feel more fair, and would probably prevent many disputes in the future: Clear rules for each contest and explicit judging criteria.

For example, some players will edit the photo of their lady's look onto an interesting background, but some other players may choose not to because they believe they are being judged solely on their lady's look and/or worry that adding a background may disqualify them. Other similar areas of confusion are whether or not pets or your lady's boyfriend/fiance are allowed to be included.
This confusion could easily be resolved by the contest announcement including a simple statement declaring the rules for each contest, like "feel free to include your boyfriend and a pet in your photo, and special backgrounds are welcome!" or "please use an unedited photo featuring only your lady (no pets or boyfriend)."

Additionally, having specific judging criteria and/or more information on how winners are selected would be very helpful. If winners are being selected primarily based on "likes"/"thanks"/etc, it would be helpful if that information was also included in the contest announcement (e.g. "winners will be selected by popular vote, so don't forget to "like" your favorite ladies!"). If this is not how winners are being selected, including judging criteria could help demonstrate to players that judging is being done fairly. Judging criteria could be things like color coordination, accessorization, styling (hair/makeup/etc), creativity, jewelry, popularity ('likes'/'thanks') - anything the judges are considering when selecting a winner! :) Criteria could be included in contest announcements in a brief sentence like "we will be judging your ladies on color coordination, accessories, and jewelry" or "for this contest, judging will be on creativity, accessories, and popularity."

So, to put these ideas together, here are some sample contest announcements:
"Christmas is coming soon, so get ready for holiday parties! For this contest, dress your lady in her best holiday party outfit. You may also bring your boyfriend to the party, but please leave your pets at home. If you would like to show us where your lady is going for her party, you may give your picture a special background. We will be selecting winners based on creativity and popularity, so don't forget to 'like' your favorite pictures!"
"Are you ready for the Olympics? For this contest, show us what Olympic sport your lady will be competing in! Your pets will be at home and your boyfriend will be cheering for you in the stands, so please only include your lady in your photo. No special backgrounds are needed for this contest. For this contest we will be judging based on theme, accessories, and styling. Please try to choose a sport from the real Olympics, use accessories which show us what sport she is doing, and style her hair and makeup to look like a real Olympic athlete."

I hope my suggestion makes sense! :D I think more clarification like this would really help make contests more enjoyable and might encourage more people to participate, but I would love to hear if other players also think this would be helpful. I understand adding rules would take some more time when planning and announcing a contest, but I really believe it would be worthwhile, and even very basic clarification (e.g. yes/no on boyfriends, pets, & backgrounds) could go a long way.

P.S. Sorry this is such a long post xD I just wanted to be as clear as possible. Thanks for reading, and thank you to the mods & admins who put so much hard work into running the forum, social media pages, and the contests <3

For this post the author Shoobie thanked: 3
Asor_Spring2007 (08 Jun 2016, 03:16) • M.a.r.i.a. (02 Mar 2016, 02:44) • Red Queen (07 Dec 2017, 16:41)
Rating: 3.61%

Shoobie

Have thanks: 78 times

Re: Rules/judging criteria in contests

Postby zmaya » 01 Mar 2016, 11:01

Hello and thank you for a post about rules and what concerns you in a normal and polite tone. Lately lot of people decide to just insult or whine without writing anything constructive.

True, criteria should be more specific to have less confusion, but there is also a problem of people not reading the longer posts. I know that from the experience of posting a lot of monthly and weekly contests here (I stopped being admin because of my real life work, but I am back again).

For instance, last week red stiletto contest was about strong, brave, independent women wearing red stilettos. I did try to keep the contest theme as short as possible and there were several ladies not even wearing red stilettos. I did edit their post saying that red stiletto is required and they did change their outfit. Problem is, most of players are not native English speakers (I am not one as well) so description needs to be as short as possible.

Judgment just by votes of players was tried before. Votes were posted in the topic. Problem with that occurred because of trading votes and popular ladies getting all the votes not leaving new players a chance. With likes it is more or less the same and someone who posted outfit first will get more likes than someone posting it last minute.

I think the biggest problem is that all the people think different and have different opinions and that is great but when I write confident woman outfit every person here will have different view on how that outfit should look. That is why we have that many different and original outfits in the contests.

We do try to be fair, yes we look at the color combination, accessories and style but as everyone else we are humans as well and if you ever watch any talent show you will see that not everyone agrees with the judges. We simply have sometimes different opinion that others. Yes, we check the likes as well, but for the reason I wrote above only giving rewards with someone with most likes won't be fair as well.

More suggestions are welcome and I'll try to make more details in the future contests. Also, if you have any question about the current contest, you can always send a PM to moderator or open a topic with a question. Don't worry we will explain in more detail.

For this post the author zmaya thanked: 2
Asor_Spring2007 (08 Jun 2016, 03:17) • Red Queen (07 Dec 2017, 16:41)
Rating: 2.41%

zmaya
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Have thanks: 281 times

Postby Shoobie » 01 Mar 2016, 23:20

Thanks for responding and clearing things up :)
I'd really prefer not to discuss other players. I am making an effort to be polite and constructive, but I do find it really disheartening that criticism seems to be so unwelcome. I think players who are upset and are being honest about how they feel deserve to be heard, too.
English is my first language, and I do always read the entire post description, and I have still found many of the contests unclear. To use your example of the red stiletto contest - that description does not indicate whether or not you can include your boyfriend/fiance or pets, or whether or not you can edit the picture onto a background. Those are the main things that I find unclear.
Taste is certainly subjective and I understand that, and I'm not suggesting the judges' opinions are wrong or unfair, it's just that sometimes it's very unclear what exactly the judges are looking for. I was thinking criteria for contests in this game might be helpful the same way beauty pageants use specific criteria to make sure judges are evaluating the same things, and so contestants know what to focus on when preparing (for example, the pageant which determines who gets to go on to Miss USA in my state's criteria are "character, poise, confidence and personality" - http://www.misswashingtonusa.com/faq.php). I was trying to think of in-game equivalents to real-life beauty pageants, but I do understand that this would require more time and effort and may not be feasible. I just thought it might be helpful if it were possible.
Thank you for letting me know judging isn't just based on likes and I am really glad to know that. :)
I figured I could just ask about details on individual contests, but I would have been asking about boyfriends/pets/backgrounds on literally every contest and that would probably get annoying and I really don't want to bother anyone. This is why I just made a suggestion post instead :)
Thanks again for your help :D I really appreciate it

For this post the author Shoobie was thanked by:
Red Queen (07 Dec 2017, 16:41)
Rating: 1.2%

Shoobie

Postby zmaya » 02 Mar 2016, 13:08

It is no bother at all to ask the questions and I know that I speak for every moderator here that they will answer as soon as possible, but keep in mind we are volunteers and we do have jobs, studies and similar so we are not here 24/7.

True, I didn't post details about boyfriend, pet and similar, didn't even occur that someone will post confident and independent lady with boyfriend. To be honest, I think that would only distract focus from the outfit.

There is new weekly contest so let me explain on that what I'll be paying attention to most (it will also answer some questions hopefully).

1st creativity
If you just put on skirt and shirt and write you are veterinarian, but outfit could easily be day at the office, lawyer,... you will for certain get less points than someone in bad try of parrot costume (colorful hair and colorful dress). Why? Parrot costume isn't something you can just buy, you had to be creative. So, accessorize, be creative. You have a week to plan an outfit.

2nd uniqueness
Don't just go to the store and put on premade combination. Yes, all the colors match and look good, but anyone can make that.

3rd Pop put
I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but it is a competition and you need to stand out from the mass. Background, pet,... won't give you extra points. I look at your outfit and just ignore boyfriends outfit even if he is there and as I said he probably will just be in the way. How to pop out, be creative and unique, don't dress up in something I can see every day walking around the town.

4th style
Now, creative, unique and poping out can look horrible. Ofc, I'll look at the style and how altogether looks.

Not sure if really in this order, but this are things I will check. If you meet this criteria you will be on top.

What doesn't change much?
I do check the votes, why, to see who got most points. More curiosity than because of advantage. I usually try to figure out is it just me liking something or is more people liking something. So don't worry if you posted last and have zero likes, if it is the best looking outfit (in my opinion) you will win. There will be lots of complains on how can someone with 0 points win, but they will criticize me not you so don't worry. ;)

What I completely ignore?
Outfit cost. I don't care if total is 1000$ or 100 diamonds. More expensive outfit won't bring you more points. Sometimes ladies feel bad because they spend a lot for contest outfit and didn't even get to first three. I am sorry, but spending a lot doesn't mean it is the best.

Advice?
Think about the outfit, plan it. Don't hurry to post it. Don't edit photo, background add pets, boyfriends,... You are creative so show us you can be creative and unique. This is creativity contest not popularity. ;)

Send me a PM or ask in a topic if you need something. Better safe than sorry. And good luck to all. :D

For this post the author zmaya thanked: 5
Asor_Spring2007 (08 Jun 2016, 03:17) • ClaudiaM25 (02 Mar 2016, 13:25) • Red Queen (07 Dec 2017, 16:41) • Sarah Eilonwy (18 Jan 2017, 19:21) • Shoobie (02 Mar 2016, 19:29)
Rating: 6.02%

zmaya
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Have thanks: 281 times

Postby Shoobie » 02 Mar 2016, 19:38

thanks! :D that makes sense and really helps a lot :)

For this post the author Shoobie was thanked by:
Red Queen (07 Dec 2017, 16:41)
Rating: 1.2%

Shoobie

Return to Forum Suggestions