plagiarism

plagiarism

Postby PurpleBondGirl » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Plagiarism is defined as "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own". As I progressed through this game and became familiar with this forum I started visiting websites of other clubs. I noticed several of these clubs have either exactly the same guides or very similar, meaning only a few were changed to make these guides appear to be original. This is especially true of the Engagement Guide composed by Rivertam from her own experience. I found her guide on 2 other club websites who claimed them as their own, and failing to give her credit. Its appalling to me how someone can steal another person's guide and present it as if they had gone through the experience themselves. To make matters worse, another club did the same thing to the plagiarizing club. This is NEVER ok to do. If you need guides to enhance your websites, make your own from your own experiences or add a link to the original owner of the guide, stating their name & giving them credit for it. ALWAYS give credit where credit is due. This is true of a few club descriptions as well. I read all the club descriptions before I wrote mine. It not easy to accurately describe a club in such a limited number of characters. It took me forever to word mine just perfectly. MY phrase, "Lazy & Stingy doesn't belong here." was stolen & used by another club, word for word. As much as I would love to call out this club by name, I am better than that. It's unfortunate they had to steal a description rather than inventing their own. I will say the club name begins with an M. I promptly changed my description. Not everything qualifies as a quote, & not every penned word that is repeated qualifies as plagiarism but in the case of the ladies who take the many hours of their time to screenshot & write down every step of a process such as the engagement party planning, it is absolutely plagiarism if you do use it without having permission & / or giving credit to the owner. Should I find any of my guides, helps, photos, from my website, on another clubs website, I will absolutely call you out, and discredit you in every possible way. That includes my club descriptions too. Club M********! This practice needs to stop. I'm willing to give all players advice & access to my website but if I ever see anything plagiarized from it, I will not be nice about it.
Last edited by PurpleBondGirl on Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

For this post the author PurpleBondGirl thanked: 10
Alex18 (Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:05 am) • Annabelle Coco (Sun May 14, 2017 10:30 am) • CrazeyHoe (Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:37 am) • eguidreysuza (Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:15 pm) • gbluegoose (Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:36 am) • itemarieottos (Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:58 am) • nburguntyler (Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:38 am) • ntopnorth (Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:24 pm) • Red Queen (Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:26 pm) • sorinashrich (Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 pm)
Rating: 12.05%

PurpleBondGirl

Have thanks: 286 times

Re: plagiarism

Postby Brigitta Von Trapp » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 pm

I guess I see this a little differently. I think of it as a complement when i see my idea or information is used again. I do not feel as if I have privacy rights. Truly, I am just grateful the correct information is getting out to so many. It makes our jobs as guides so much easier. You must have wonderful ideas and many must also think so, if your ideas are being used and copied again. So in your own magical way you are helping to make this game better for all. Also keep in mind, many new clubs may see the successful clubs as the prototype and of course will copy what they see, they want to make sure they are doing it right too. I think in such a public format, it will be very difficult to enforce and I am not sure you would want to. When information is given freely in a forum or public site,it usually is with implicit understanding it no longer belongs to you. I actually encourage ladies to cut and paste our pages if they think it will help their clubs. I feel if we inspire duplicates, we are doing something right. None of us would even have a website, if we did not borrow photos or music. I also think finding information in this game is not always easy and if many websites are giving out accurate information they find in the game and putting it in one place all the better. I am sure the idea of the website for the club started because one club did it first. The rest of us just copied that great idea. Also, many clever ladies have the same ideas at the same time and who thought it first can be difficult to prove.
I guess the best advice I can give you if this is something you would like more control over is to specify that when you are sharing information in a public format to put a warning before and or after specifying how you would like this information used. (i.e All rights are reserved, No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic,mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without prior permission) (lol I copied that :P ) I can see why you would be proud of your work and since this is important to you simply ask them to acknowledge you and give you credit. I am sure they would be happy to oblige.
Anyway, best of luck on this and I hope you find a way that will work for you and give you some piece of mind. hugs

For this post the author Brigitta Von Trapp thanked: 7
eguidreysuza (Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:15 pm) • gbluegoose (Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:37 am) • Jazzy2Cute (Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:36 pm) • nburguntyler (Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:38 am) • ntopnorth (Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:24 pm) • sally (Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:01 pm) • sorinashrich (Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 pm)
Rating: 8.43%

Brigitta Von Trapp

Have thanks: 1001 times

Postby PurpleBondGirl » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:32 pm

OMG!!! WOW!!! This post is about me. This is not directed at any certain club. I don't have any problems with any clubs. But, apparently some people have the idea I'm talking about them. If I wanted to call out a certain person or a certain club I would have done that. I'm not accusing any certain person or club, I'm simply putting my thoughts, feelings, and opinions out there. Nothing more and nothing less. That's not what this post is about at all.

While some of what you say may be true, not all of your response is true, IMO. There is absolutely no need for experiences to be copied and pasted into another clubs website as if they owned it. This is not a compliment nor should it be seen as a form of flattery. I believe in giving credit where credit is due. It is especially insulting when one club takes the experience of a person, uses it as their own, then shares it or gives it away as if it were theirs. This is wrong on so many different levels. As my friend said "IT IS OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" ( note that even though she wants to be anonymous I still gave her credit) and nobody has the right to reuse it freely as their own. It surely only takes a very few seconds to type out the words " This was borrowed from PurpleBondGirl" or "I got this from the forum where Rivertam posted it". Just because this is a public forum and the game is public too, it certainly IS NOT a "free for all". Plagiarism is never ok when it is so easy and simple to give the owner credit for their hard work penning their experiences. And it most certainly is hard work, and time consuming. I am constantly building pages to help everybody in this game but its MY work!! I own it!! Its not free to take, copy, or claim. However it is open and free to read and Link up to. I'm all for sharing good and valuable information. I have an extensive website where I share everything I know and have learned about this game, but its not made available so other clubs can copy and paste it onto their sites as if they wrote it, experienced it, or owned it. And you will not find anything from another site on my website. I have picked up ideas from other clubs. But I have NEVER copied another clubs post. If I see my work on another site I expect to see my name there also. I will call them out and make it clear to all who go there it is stolen material, stolen "Intellectual Property". Before I add someone else's work to my site, I (1) Ask for permission (2) Give them full credit for it (3) I NEVER copy and paste, I link up to it. This is how it should always be done. PERIOD!!!

Furthermore, copying the work of another person, lacks imagination, intuition, and creativity. IMO the people who plagiarizes do so because they lack the ability to express themselves, or the inclination to do so. Plagiarism is in fact more than just thievery it is laziness too. The actual work, and owner of that work deserves to be respected which is what giving them credit does. Plagiarism is a complete lack of respect for the person who owns the original work.

P.S. Sorry for all the toes I just stepped on.

For this post the author PurpleBondGirl thanked: 5
eguidreysuza (Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:15 pm) • gbluegoose (Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:37 am) • nburguntyler (Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:38 am) • ntopnorth (Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:24 pm) • sorinashrich (Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 pm)
Rating: 6.02%

PurpleBondGirl

Postby LucyKamui » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:28 am

As a freelance writer i have to agree with PurpleBondGirl ... But Brigitta also has a point: copying someone is the highest form of flattery. but i do think it should be done within limits. :/

However there are ways to protect your intellectual property on the sites or guides you created:
simply put everything up as images, and watermark them. ;) also all images need [or should be] watermarked
with the "(c) your name" this way, [virtually] nobody can steal them.

Additionally, maybe you can contact the webhost of those sites, and tell them the content was stolen from you. they would have to take the site[s] down.

[as a really nasty note, i did see the art of a comic artist i follow being stolen REGARDLESS of it having the "(c) name - years" on it :/ and there was no way to report that stolen art :( ]
LeLe from FA club: Fashion Wizard

For this post the author LucyKamui thanked: 4
eguidreysuza (Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:15 pm) • gbluegoose (Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:38 am) • nburguntyler (Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:39 am) • sorinashrich (Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 pm)
Rating: 4.82%

LucyKamui

Have thanks: 513 times

Postby PurpleBondGirl » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:42 pm

The items being stolen are being stolen by some of the players in the clubs of this game. I coined the phrase "Lazy and Selfish doesn't belong here" Not a single person ever said that before me but now everyone uses it. I recently had words with someone who copied a whole page off of my website and pasted it into theirs. I have put up warnings and signs, these people simply have no respect, and do not care. Forbes club blog gets "plagiarized" a lot without ever having gotten credit even though they watermark their work. I use their work but I also give links and give them full credit on my site. But thank you for your advice. I'm in the process of making a logo for my club at which point I will begin water marking everything I make, and post.

For this post the author PurpleBondGirl thanked: 5
Annabelle Coco (Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 am) • eguidreysuza (Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:15 pm) • gbluegoose (Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:38 am) • nburguntyler (Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:39 am) • ntopnorth (Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:25 pm)
Rating: 6.02%

PurpleBondGirl

Return to Little Ladies Forum