Need advice

Let's talk about some things beyond the game.

Need advice

Postby Fabia » 06 Sep 2018, 18:37

What's the best way to write a research paper? I have too many stresses this fall and also that stupid rresearch paper.. Could you please share your expirience in that field?
Fabia

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Need advice

Postby poliq » 06 Sep 2018, 19:02

To answer questions like this, I would first suggest that you find out what the expected style guide is for your institution (college or company). The most common for writing papers for publication are APA, MLA, and the Chicago Manual of Style. Find out what yours is and get a copy (seriously, you need a hard copy to refer to).

Second, there are a number of resources on line to give guidance in writing a good paper. Some concentrate only on the methods section of the paper. Your university should have some guidance and helps on the topic.
poliq

Postby Trinity Starling » 07 Sep 2018, 04:29

Here's what I recommend you do:

1. If you have a rubric, read it! Look at the column with the highest score (usually an "A" for letter grade, "4" for mastery grading). Refer back to the rubric when writing your paper to make sure you're meeting all the requirements for the score you want.

2. Make an Outline--for a 5 paragraph paper, you'll need an introductory paragraph, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The outline should include at least your thesis (what you're trying to argue) and evidence you plan to use. Start brainstorming ideas for a thesis and a few (at least three for a five-paragraph essay) pieces of evidence that could support it.

3. Write Your Thesis--the thesis statement is the heart of your paper. It's what your trying to argue in the paper. The statement should be one sentence long and it should concisely sum up your argument and be restated in the conclusion (more on that later).

4. Gather Evidence--for a five paragraph paper, you'll need three different sub-claims supported by evidence. If you need to write a longer paper, just subtract two (minus intro and conclusion) from your target number of paragraphs, and that's the number of body paragraphs you need to write. Think of what evidence would support your claim and do some research. Try to find scholarly sources that have multiple cited resources and are written by reputable sources (ex. university publications) and have been reviewed by multiple people before publication. If your school offers online or print resources, use them to your advantage. Stay away from encyclopedia entries (most of the time they will be too broad to include in your paper) and every English teacher's nightmare--Wikipedia (it's also too broad and not reputable because anyone can change what the articles said).

5. Write Your Body Paragraphs--once you're done researching (see above), you can begin to write the actual paper. make sure that you have your thesis handy and that your evidence is reputable. You'll want to start all your body paragraphs with a topic sentence--a sentence that tells readers what you will be discussing in the paragraph. As with your thesis, make sure everything in the paragraph connects to the topic sentence. Include some quotes from your sources every once in a while in your body paragraphs. Every time you have a quote, you need to follow it up with analysis--think, "How does what this quote is saying help support my thesis?" NEVER put a quote in and leave it there without analysis--think Chekov's gun, but for essay writing! Everything in your essay has to do something useful, otherwise it's not worth putting in. If you put quotes in for the sake of taking up space, that's called "quote bombing" and it basically guarantees a deduction in your score. You'll need in-text citations (you should always have some form of in-text citations in a paper; the style is what's different among many style guides), where you state where the quote came from and the author of the source. That's why you should have a good idea of how to write in a particular style, plus any nuances your teacher might require. After you're done writing a body paragraph, sum it up in the last sentence or so, like a mini conclusion.

6. Write a Conclusion--the conclusion is basically a restatement of your thesis. Here's your chance to summarize your essay in a few sentences and end with a bang! You pretty much can restate your thesis and topic sentences (from the body paragraphs, discussed above).

7. Write an Introductory Paragraph--personally, I always write my introductory paragraph last because I find it hard to come up with a snappy beginning until the rest of the essay is laid out in front of me. In this paragraph, you should have your thesis, a short summary of the evidence you're going to bring up, and, of course, an introduction! Try to avoid clichés. Don't exaggerate any events you're writing about in hopes of catching the reader's attention, and, since you're writing a research paper (not, say a literary analysis), you'll want to stay away from flowery language, big vocabulary words, etc. Just... try to go with your gut in writing something that tells readers what your paper's gonna be about while at the same time hooking them in.

8. Bibliography--as always, follow your teacher's guidelines for writing essays. The bibliography tells readers where you got the evidence in your essay from.Different style guides (MLA, APA, Chicago) will have different ways of writing a bibliography, doing in-text citations, and whatnot. Be sure to follow the guidelines. If you're not sure how to follow a particular writing style, you can consult the Internet. You can use a citation-creating web resource, but be sure to check that it has been formatted correctly. Purdue OWL is a pretty good resource. Better yet, get the printed copy of the style guide your teacher wants you to use. Sometimes you might have to write an annotated bibliography, in which you have to summarize the source you used, evaluate it's reliability, and write how it helped support your claim.

9. Title Your Paper--Congratulations! You're done with your essay! Well... almost. Now all you need is a title. Don't just title your paper "[Insert Topic] Research Paper," because that can show the teacher that you don't care enough to think of a snappy title. Think of what you've been arguing in your paper and try to sum it all up in a sentence. Again, avoid clichés (unless you can change a cliché to have it say something about your topic).

There you have it... Trinity's guide to writing a research paper! Now go out there and ace that paper! :D

EXTRA RESOURCES:
http://www.easybib.com OR http://www.citationmachine.net/ <-- good for quickly creating citations
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html <-- a nice resource for finding out how to use a certain writing style
Last edited by Trinity Starling on 07 Sep 2018, 16:21, edited 5 times in total.
Lady Name: Trinity Starling
ID: 5498311

For this post the author Trinity Starling was thanked by:
Amethist (04 Nov 2018, 12:37)
Rating: 1.2%

Trinity Starling

Have thanks: 156 times
National Flag:
United States

Postby Strongbee » 07 Sep 2018, 07:22

So many good answers. But it is ok when you have time actually. Anyway there should be some helpful hacks for students. Check out one of them https://cheapessay.net/cheap-custom-research-paper.html These guys will help you do your paper work on time :)
Strongbee

Postby Trinity Starling » 07 Sep 2018, 07:43

I disagree...
Teachers will tell you weeks, sometimes MONTHS in advance when you have a research paper. In the long run, using an essay writing service really isn't worth it. Teachers have a way of finding out whether or not you wrote the paper you turned in or not. If your school uses a third-party website to submit papers through, most come with a plagiarism checker. Even though someone would've technically written the paper, that person isn't you, and what you're paying a person to write isn't going to be at your level. The people running these essay-writing companies don't care about whether or not you succeed; they just want your money. I'm not saying my own answer is 100% correct, but I can tell you from experience that it has helped me write many an essay and I still had plenty of time for other work and down time. Trust me, using a cheap run-of-the-mill solution like a writing service just isn't worth it. If your teacher finds out, you get a zero because using a writing service and passing it off as your own work constitutes plagiarism, and you don't get the same satisfaction from finishing a paper yourself that you do when you pay someone to write a paper for you. If you are truly pressed for time, tell your teacher. Explain honestly why you don't have enough time to finish and ask for an extension. Most will happily grant you an extension if you ask nicely and ahead of time. Although writing the paper can seem tedious, with enough practice, it'll be worth it in the end.
Lady Name: Trinity Starling
ID: 5498311

Trinity Starling

Have thanks: 156 times
National Flag:
United States

Postby Helenna1 » 24 Oct 2018, 14:40

I think the best way is to write it by yourself!
Helenna1

Return to OffTopic