I've always wondered how a single lady might possibly be able to amass that amount of votes and suspected something along the lines of 'voting groups' (or the 'voting mafia' - 'we have an offer you cannot..' and so forth ^^) for quite some time now..
Thus, I wholeheartedly agree with what was said above and would like to summarize it with my own two cents thrown into the mix..
Proposition for a new voting system in both LP and LP:FA
How does it work?
- Voting from a lady's profile is no longer possible.
- Instead, a queue of sorts is added, in which randomly selected ladies (more below) are presented to the voter, and she/he can either vote or choose not to.
- Available ratings are from -2 to +3, modified by optional (premium) bonuses as before, and a new option 'don't vote'.
- A maximum of x ladies per day is presented to a single player. To prevent 'gaming' the system, ladies that a player chose not to vote for count towards the daily max of votes.
- The competitions' lengths stay as they are: weekly for podium, apartment and (in LP) pets, monthly for FTV.
- In order to exclude inactive ladies from the competitions and to keep votings focused, players actively have to sign up for the next competition. The sign up-process starts a day prior to the next round of the competition and ends before the current round ends (at the latest when the sign up for the next term starts)
- As before, once a lady wins all trophies in a competition, she will no longer be able to sign up for said competition.
- (optional) include some sort of small reward in each competition's term for active voters. This reward should be tied to the amounts of votes given, again encouraging players to actively vote and hopefully help against exploiting the system by choosing not to vote for anyone not included in a 'voting group' *
- (LP only) The pet-contest works in the same way as the other contests mentioned above.
- (LP:FA only) In addition to the points above, voting in LP:FA costs lady dollars as before, increasing Generosity. This includes choosing not to vote for a lady, but this should not give generosity points in return. For this to stay in accordance with the other stats in LP:FA (which are not limited by a daily maximum), the maximum amount of daily votes should be modified by one of the following options:
- the maximum amount of votes per day is increased.
the maximum amount of votes per day can be increased by paying a certain fee (lady dollars or emeralds/diamonds, not dissimilar to energy)
the maximum amount of votes per day is removed altogether (price of each vote regulates the system)**
** Personally, I'd choose this third option, as long as one of the other systems to prevent exploitation of the system (skipping ladies until one of a 'vote-group' comes up for instance) is in place.
A more thorough explanation on the process of selecting ladies to vote for - what I am suggesting is that every lady who wants to take part in the competition may do so - the 'pool' of contenders, so to speak, should not be limited. What would be limited in the above system is the amount of votes every player can _give_ on a daily basis, as well as the ability to hand-pick the ladies who whould be voted for (or against). Thus, it would be impossible for a small group of 'devotees' to push a single lady to the top and likewise penalize one of the other competitors, since they would be simply unable to choose whom to vote for.
Why would the developers and the community want that?
The system proposed above holds a number of advantages that almost every player should be able to appreciate:
- Reduction in pointless/generic comments and emails which only serve the purpose of generating votes
- Equal baseline chances of receiving votes (and subsequently, a trophy/reward)
- Increased chances of receiving positive votes based on effort put into personal styling/apartement design
- Option to leave the competitions alone altogether and focus on other aspects of the game without being bothered by 'vote-beggars'
There's - in my opinion - even more in it for the devs (even if there are fewer points ^^)..
- Reduction in support tickets, as much fewer reports of abuse or rule violations are to be expected, leaving more time for payment / ingame issues.
- Increase in sales (popularity bonuses -> diamonds); ladies who did not partake in the competitions up to now because they felt like they didn't stand a chance anyways are probably going to give it a try with the obviously more 'fair' system above.
- Competition is always a warrantor for turnover - sales would likely not only increase in directly related categories (bonuses, etc.), but also in other categories as clothes and styling options - after all, if a player wants to win a competition that is indeed - at least to some degree - based on style and looks, premium items offer ways of uniqueness and the certain 'it'-factor to win such a competition.
If you, dear reader, can at least relate to the problems mentioned above or think that a change is in fact due (even if you don't actually agree with the proposed solution), please give us a thanks or a comment below. Thank you!