Connect the Dots - Playing Guide

Something is not clear to you and you have a question? We are here to answer.

Connect the Dots - Playing Guide

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:22 am

Hello everyone :)

After posting the following guide as an answer to a question in the ladies' forum a while back, it was suggested that I put it into it's own topic in the 'Ask a Question'-subforum, which is precisely what I am doing right now ;)

If you got words of encouragement, criticism, corrections or something completely different, feel free to post ^^

@Mods: Since it took a while to put this together (as well as manually moving it into this new topic), could you please consider making this a sticky or mention it in one of the appropriate posts so it can easily be found in the future? Thank you! :)
Personal Note: I want to free LP from vote-begging spam once and for all. Would you like to help? Please check this topic about a new (and hopefully more fair) voting system for both LP and LP:FA and give your thoughts or likes.. Thank you!

For this post the author detarja thanked: 2
azuri88 (Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 am) • Reaney (Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:31 am)
Rating: 2.44%

detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Have thanks: 142 times

Re: Connect the Dots - Playing Guide

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:24 am

[Preamble: Since I'm having trouble uploading attachments to this forum, I'm linking the original ones. In hope of getting the attachments to work, I'm keeping the three-images-per-posts for now.. this might disappear during time ^^]

This is a repost from the original thread, I tried to tidy it up a bit, but if something sounds a bit off, it's because it's taken from an actual help-thread..

First, the general rules..

Both players (you and the computer) alternate putting a line on the playing field - whenever one closes a "box", it's one point for that player. Most points win the game. Oh, and whenever a box is closed, that player may immediately draw another line.
So, in extension, that means that once you put the third line to a box, the next move goes to the computer which - of course - closes it and scores the point.
Basically, all you have to do is put down lines without giving him the opportunity to score, while keeping your eyes open for any box he might leave open for you to finish.. advanced strategies include how to minimize the points the computer gets, but that's not even necessary to win in order to reach a goal..

Try to avoid giving the computer lots of boxes to close in one row..

But, as I prepared some images, let's have a look at them..

Okay, we start off with nothing, player (as opposed to computer) starts first..

Since our digital opponent is not exactly a clever one, we can start building our stuff and be completely disinterested in what he's doing..

Notice the line on the top of the playing fields? those are mine. the other ones scattered across the field? computer stuff.

so I'm just adding a second line below my first one, still no interference from my opponent..
Last edited by detarja on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

so let's see what's next..

oh, that.. notice the lighter grey line in the right top corner, connecting two lines already in place? that's my next move. Why? I'm gonna build a long line that can be scored at the same time.. observe..

next, I'm going around the edge to enlongate my snake-like 'tunnel' that I've built so far

and here's the first moment where I actually have to react to something the computer did.. notice the box in the middle of the lower half that has three of it's sides closed now? if I do nothing, the computer will claim it for himself the next round.. so I'm going to close it now..
detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 pm

There! One happy purple face for me ;)

since nothing else happens, I just continue to build up my looong row of fields..

here's another gift from the computer.. left half, slightly above the middle.. closing it will net me..
detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm

see? already 2-0 for me.. ;)

a quick jump forward.. the computer has opened me another spot - that I gladly took - and botched one in return, which he took.. the important thing however is circled - the computer has actually put a third line in my long row of open boxes.. so, I'll take the first one.. (see below)

and then..
detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:52 pm

and because I can place yet another line, take the next one.. and the next one.. notice the lighter grey line again? I'm just keeping this up, one by one, until I filled my entire row..

..there. 24-1. Not too bad of a start, is it?

I'll continue placing lines to make my 'roads' longer, until this happens.. (circled again)
detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:53 pm

The computer placed another line in one of my roads (see last picture of previous post), giving me the opportunity to repeat what I did before.. finish off a lot of boxes in one swoop - which I do.

And there you have it. 47-1. Now I'd really have to botch it to lose this one..

After carefully placing more lines to prevent the computer from getting any points (never put a line to give a box three sides), we arrive at this point - no more lines can be placed without offering the opponent at least one box to score. (yes, with one exception - didn't see it before the screenshot :p)
detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Postby detarja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 pm

What now follows is just a simple tradeoff.. I give him the areas which reward the fewest boxes (like the single one on the bottom line), and in return hope for some nice spots to fill..
notice the light grey line? It gives the computer the opportunity to score four points - equal or less than any other area still left open..

we continue this for a while, but the score already tells me there is no way I'll lose this thing..
and yes, experienced players, there is lots of room for strategy to improve my own score at this point, but this is not part of this.. whatever this is.. ;)

And there you have it. A decisive win for the human player. The best players I've encountered so far can go as far as allowing the computer only two or three boxes to score, but this isn't necessary for you to achieve your goal.

If there are further questions, do not hesitate to post them, I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities.. however, I really think that this should be enough to get you started winning some of your own.

Good luck!
Personal Note: I want to free LP from vote-begging spam once and for all. Would you like to help? Please check this topic about a new (and hopefully more fair) voting system for both LP and LP:FA and give your thoughts or likes.. Thank you!
detarja
Forum Freak!
Forum Freak!

Postby Reaney » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:39 am

Thank you very much Detarja!!!
I never win this game before, I don't know how to win.
But,now this far I win at least twice,that's make me happy :D
In this game that I play,I see there is no announce about the IQ when I win,hehe...but it's OK.

Thank you again&Have a nice day Dear!
Reaney

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby sally » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:22 am

Thanks for your post!
Actually, I win connect the dots from the start of the previous month.:P
It was helpful to many new players!( Also old players)
“And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul”

♥Sally♥
happygirl in club THE WHITE HOUSE
sally

Have thanks: 175 times

Return to Ask a Question